Can I apply if I do not have a festival or broadcasting credit?
Yes, please demonstrate your interest in advancing your knowledge and experience in documentary. Feel free to mention arts industry experience if applicable.
Can I apply with another member of my team?
No, only 4 total candidates can participate. We do not accept two participants for one project.
Can I still apply if I’ve applied for other grants or funding for the same project?
Yes! DOC Atlantic Breakthrough is a non-exclusive opportunity. You are still eligible for even if you have applied for other funding.
Is there an age limit for applicants?
Applicants must be 18 years or older.
Can you share tips for making my application stand out with the selection committee?
- Demonstrate a commitment to media creation and documentary film in particular. Cite previous experience as applicable.
- The DOC Atlantic Breakthrough program seeks candidates who are ready to professionally apply themselves to succeed.
- Focus your application on one strong and compelling project that is ready to progress to the pitching stage. Only one project per participant can be workshopped throughout the program.
- Illustrate your understanding of the viability of your project — project elements that require extensive travel, access, archives, music, or other potentially costly elements may detract from your application.
- Share why you should be the one to tell this documentary story, and why now.
How much time commitment is required?
Three-weeks of 60-120 min workshops and group and individual pitch consultant sessions, mentor time (schedule TBD), Lunenburg Doc Fest (Sept 21-27), and Hot Docs (May 2024). See the timeline in Guidelines and Terms for more information.
What is the cost of the program?
It is free to apply and selected artists participate for free also.
If you have a question that is not answered here please email firstname.lastname@example.org